Thursday, July 5, 2012

Peanut Butter Bliss

Peanut butter and chocolate are a classic combination, so it makes sense to make a chocolate cupcake with peanut butter frosting.  But I decided to change it up a bit and make a chocolate cupcake that is actually healthier (that's right, I said healthier). I had found a recipe a while back for a low fat chocolate cupcake, and I gave it a try.  I figured maybe I wouldn't feel so guilty eating chocolate if it didn't have eggs or butter or oil in it.  The original recipe actually uses a cake mix, but I really wanted to make my batter from scratch.  With my husband and my kids as my guinea pigs, I set out last week to make the perfect "healthy" chocolate cupcake.  I love how these cupcakes come out so moist, especially since chocolate cupcakes have a tendancy to dry out.  Now, let me be honest here and say that there is nothing healthy about the peanut butter frosting!  However, it tastes amazing and compliments the cupcake really well.  Below is the recipe for both the cupcake and frosting.

Thank you to my friend, Kat Hertzler, for taking these photos!  I found these cute green polka dot cupcake liners to use, I love all the choices there are these days!
Chocolate Cupcakes:
- 2 c all purpose flour
- 1 c unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Wilbur's dutch cocoa-for those local folks who want to use something truly decadent!)
- 2 c sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 pkg sugar free chocolate pudding mix (1.4 oz)
- 1 c pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 c sour cream
- 1 c coffee, room temperature

Preheat oven to 350F.  Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.  In a large bowl, sift together flour and cocoa powder.  Whisk in sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.  In another large bowl, whisk together pudding mix, pumpkin puree, vanilla, sour cream and coffee.  Add dry ingredients and stir until well combined.  Divide evenly into prepared pans.  Bake for 24-25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.  Cool cupcakes on a wire rack completely before frosting.

Peanut Butter Frosting:
- 1/2 c butter
- 1 c creamy peanut butter
- 4 c powdered sugar
- 1/3 c heavy cream (can substitute with milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract

In a large bowl, beat butter and peanut butter until light and fluffy.  Slowly beat in 1/2 of the powdered sugar, 1/4 c of the cream and the vanilla extract.  Beat in the remaining powdered sugar, adding the remaining cream until the consistency you want is reached.  Pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes.

Here is another look at the end result:

I promise you will not be able to tell that these are made without eggs, butter or oil.  It's just a small way to cut out some of the fat and calories, while still being able to enjoy a little taste of heaven.  Enjoy!!
If any of you out there have a suggestion for a cupcake flavor, feel free to let me know and I will experiment for you.  Of course, you can have the end result! 

Next blog, a cupcake that will make you think of summer.  How about a blueberry and lemon cupcake?  Check back soon for some more cupcake bliss :)

2 comments: