Monday, July 30, 2012

Shoo-fly Cupcakes CAN be delicious!

It is time to confess that I am not in love with all Pennsylvania Dutch foods.  While I enjoy Whoopie Pies, soft pretzels and all the fresh produce Lancaster County has to offer, I don't eat sauerkraut, ham loaf is not a staple in my home, and Shoo-fly pie is definitely not a favorite.  I have heard that it is an acquired taste, and apparently, it takes longer for some of us to acquire that taste!  However, I recently had a friend, Mitch, give me some promotional ingredients from the company where he works.  He works for Good Food, Inc. and one of the products they manufacture is molasses.  In case you aren't exactly sure what molasses is, let me give you a little background.  If you have never seen molasses, it looks like a really dark syrup.  However, it has a very pungent smell and is not as sweet as syrup.  Anyway, I took on the challenge of creating a Shoo-fly cupcake that would entice even those of us who aren't crazy about the pie.  This is what I came up with...


 This is the molasses that I used in my cupcakes.  As I said before, this is locally made.  I really like the idea of using as many local ingredients as I can, and I think when making cupcakes based on a Lancaster county dessert, it is only right to use molasses made right here! 
Shoo-fly cupcake ingredients:
- 2 c boiling water
- 1 c dark molasses
- 4 c all-purpose flour
- 2 c dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 c butter, very cold and cubed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda

1. Mix molasses and boiling water.  Set aside.

2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, and salt.  Cut in the butter until crumbly.  Set aside 1 cup to use for the topping.  Add baking soda to remaining crumb mixture.
I used a food processor to incorporate the cold butter into the flour mixture...
And it looks like this afterwards.  Then, I transferred the mixture to my mixing bowl (I needed more space!)

3. Stir in molasses and water until well blended.
4. Fill paper-lined muffin cups about two-thirds full.  Sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean.
5. Cool for 20 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Here is the final product...wait, something is missing!  It wouldn't be a true cupcake without some kind of frosting :)


Whipped Cream Frosting:
- 2 c heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 c powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Mix whipping cream on high until soft peaks form.
2. Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract.  I like the sweetness this adds, but you can always add more or less powdered sugar to suit your taste. Whip until stiff peaks form.

Now here is the final product!
This really does make a great cupcake, one that even those of us who are not fans of the traditional pie can appreciate!

Cupcake Tip of the Blog:
When making a whipped cream frosting, put a stainless steel bowl and wire mixing paddle in the freezer for 15-30 minutes.  This will keep your cream cold and allow it to get fluffy and stay set when you whip it. 

Thank you to Good Food Inc. and Mitch Hertzler for supplying the molasses and brown sugar samples for use in these cupcakes.  I hope I made Lancaster County proud!

Coming up-the Ultimate Chocolate Cupcake!  Check back soon for some chocolate decadence!




1 comment:

  1. Good! descriptive, especially, for inexperienced cooks, they can't go wrong. thanks

    ReplyDelete